Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The song that touches the soul

Have you ever come across a song that has really touched you? Well, when I say ‘really touched you’, I mean ‘really, really touched you – deep inside – as if struck a chord’. Well, I have. Some months ago, maybe over a year, there was this song I heard for the first time on a FM station on my car stereo. I was touched. I was moved. It was a sufi song and I felt that it resonated in words exactly the way I feel about God.


Well, I am basically a spiritual person. I mean I do believe in the supreme power of God so much that I feel he can do anything and no miracle is impossible if he wills. I feel that whatever way my life takes is guided by him and he has thought of something wonderful for me. Even if something happens that makes me miserable, God has made it happen for a purpose and that something good will surely come out of it sometime in future. I believe that nothing bad can happen to me because I try my best to keep my heart pure and true, never harm anyone intentionally and help others on every possible opportunity. Hence, God will take care of me as his own child. I would say I am religious, but I certainly don’t believe in stereotypes (e.g. one should go to a temple everyday; and like if you worship in the temple, you have to cover your head, do this and do that) because I believe that God is looking for faith in our hearts and not stereotypes. I also have ultimate faith in one deity but I also respect all Gods and religions and believe that one should have faith, and one may direct it towards any or many Gods.

Well, so much for my spiritualism. I will come back to my original idea now - the song that really touched my soul. I just heard it and I listened intently to find out any clue: movie, singer, etc. But, as it happens on Delhi’s various radio stations, they just play the song without telling you anything about it. The song kept ringing inside me for hours. Late that night, I sat on the internet and looked that out. It took me some time as it belonged to a movie that was not being marketed like the typical big budget movies. It was a small budget movie that gained publicity more through word-of-mouth and critic accolades for its lead actor. The song was “Ha raham” from the movie “Aamir”. (People tell me it’s a wonderful movie with a stellar performance by Rajeev Khandelwal, though I am yet to see it).

The song has some kind of a ringing quality in it, like a haunting and echoing feeling. Or, maybe it’s just my perception because I have connected to it in a special way. The lyrics have a much deeper meaning. I still get moved by it every time I hear it, even after hearing it for months now.

I am putting in the lyrics of the song here. Do tell me if you too feel the connection I feel.

aani jaani… hai kahaani…
bulbule si… zindgaani…
banti kabhi bigadti…
tez hawa se ladti, bhidti…

ha raham, ha raham, farma ae Khuda…
mehfuz har kadam karna ae Khuda…

saanson ki sooti… dor anoothi…
jal jayegi… jal jayegi…
band jo laaye the, haath ki muthhi…
khul jayegi… khul jayegi…

kya gumaan kare kayaa ye ujlee…
mitti mein mil jayegi..
chaahe jitni shamaayein raushan kar le…
dhoop to dhal jayegi, jayegi…

ha raham, ha raham, farma ae Khuda…
mehfuz har kadam karna ae Khuda…

sone chamak mein, sikko khanak mein…
milta nahi… milta nahi…
dhool ke zarron mein, dhoonde koi tu…
milta wahin… milta wahin…

kya majaal teri marzee ke aage…
bando ki chal jayegi…
thaame ungli jo tu kathputli ki…
chaal badal jayegi, jayegi..

ha raham, ha raham, farma ae Khuda…
mehfuz har kadam karna ae Khuda…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women should support women

​I was having a discussion today with a junior at work, a girl who I had started interacting with recently. We discuss a lot of work-related...