Tuesday, June 24, 2008

How does a Job affect a woman?

It’s been a while since I have got back to work and a fascinating feeling has crept into my heart. I think a job is doing wonders to me. May be it does so to many other women like me too. I, for instance, have seen a world of difference in my overall personality off late. It’s only now that I realise that I had changed over the last four years since I quit my last job. My confidence level had dropped and my independence (both emotional and financial) was jeopardized. But, now I feel much like myself again. My self-respect has increased manifolds. Further, my idea of the person I am is very much like what I am now rather than what I was a few months ago.

Talking about Confidence first, I feel myself renewed. Just getting back to my beloved profession as an Auditor seems like a re-incarnation. Being surrounded by people who are intellectually and knowledgeably on the same or similar footing as me is exciting. It instills in me a feeling of being a sensible and intelligent person. This feeling is special because it gives me the courage and confidence to take decisions. Being a typical Libran, Librans being famous for being indecisive, this is something of great importance for me as a person because I am the first one to know my capabilities. Then again, the kind of respect that my profession per se begets elates me. This is a Personality Development chance in itself because it gives me an opportunity to discuss sensitive issues with senior management people in client companies – people who at times are more experienced than my total age and issues that they may not be ready to accept by and large – and convince them without being harsh and rude. My trust in my communication skills is tested time and again. I know it will help in every aspect of my life.

Now, self-respect is the biggest respect a human being can get and value. It comes with a lot of attributes. Being able to fulfill ones dream and chalk out a path for oneself is the basis of self-respect. Not having to look up to others in ones life for every minor issue is the foundation to self-respect. Being able to hold ones head up in thick and thin, owning up to all actions taken by one and priding in them when they bear fruit are equally important. It does loads to my personality too.

Coming to financial independence now, it’s certainly not so that I have started splurging myself or am being extravagant now that I am earning. Nor am I spending all my earnings away. I am not a mindless shopper and would buy something only when I am totally convinced about the thing I am buying. So, why am I talking about financial independence? The answer is that just having the knowledge that a certain amount ‘is being earned by me’; and that ‘it is lying there at my disposal’; and again ‘it has arrived there out of my sweat and toil’; and finally that ‘I have the first and foremost right over it’ is quite fascinating. I am thoroughly enjoying myself.

All in all, I think every woman should take up a job at least once in a lifetime, may be only for a while – just to see the change it brings in her life, to evolve her personality and gain some self-respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women should support women

​I was having a discussion today with a junior at work, a girl who I had started interacting with recently. We discuss a lot of work-related...