Monday, December 29, 2008

The meaning of my name

Just surfing through the net I stumbled upon the description/meaning of my name. I have always known that it means "faith", however, I have time and again faced a difficulty in explaining the real essence to someone who doesn't know Hindi well enough.

As it happened, I stumbled over an article regarding Margaret Woodrow Wilson, who had lived the later years of her life in India in Pondicherry in Sri Aurobindo's Ashram. Apparently, she was given the name "Nishtha" by Aurobindo who explained to her the meaning of "Nishtha" as follows:

It meant a “one-pointed fixed and steady concentration, devotion and faith in the single aim.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women should support women

​I was having a discussion today with a junior at work, a girl who I had started interacting with recently. We discuss a lot of work-related...