Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What is better for little girls: All-girls School vs. Co-educational School

Another favourite discussion on a forum about Pre-schoolers of which I happen to be a member, where parents are concerned, is what kind of school is better for little girls – All-girls Schools or Co-educational Schools? It is believed that sending the child to an all-girls school may mar her personality as there could be a mental block for opposite sex. I personally feel that the difference is marginal provided the schools are good reputed ones with good visions, healthy environments, and focus on good education and holistic development of the child.

I myself am a product of an all-girls school where I have studied for 14 long years along with most other girls in my family and extended family. All of us are well-placed in careers ranging from CA, B.Tech, MBBS, MBA and fine arts. I have personally never felt any kind of blockage towards opposite sex in myself and my sisters/cousins. But my personal viewpoint is that a lot of it depends on the upbringing and how liberal your family is. I have also seen cases where girls from Co-ed are actually more shy and submissive. My close friend did her entire education from a very well-known Co-ed school and although is very hip otherwise but is not at all confident in front of the opposite sex. She happens to be a housewife right now because her family (Parental as well as in-laws) don’t like the girls in their family working. So the point is that how the personality of the girls shape up depends more on the family background than on the fact whether the school is Co-ed or not. If at all that matters, it is reflected in the mannerisms. The girls in Co-eds actually carry themselves off beautifully and gracefully because they are always aware that the opposite sex is watching them. Often the girls from girl’s school turn out to be tomboyish especially if there are no boys in the family. But then, one can always see after a few years how the girls are turning out to be and decide to change when she is in 8th or 9th standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women should support women

​I was having a discussion today with a junior at work, a girl who I had started interacting with recently. We discuss a lot of work-related...