Sunday, January 3, 2010

3 idiots: Not idiotic at all!!!

That day a good friend told me on phone, “Leave everything and go watch ‘3 idiots’... and when you come back, write a review on your blog... ‘coz I wanna know what you think of it.” Well, for once, I was honoured, dear friend, and overwhelmed to know that my opinion matters to you. Thanks!! And then again, your wish is my command, so here comes the review.

For once, our opinions match. I absolutely loved the movie. It is indeed after a long time (after “Taare Zameen Par” and “Jodha Akbar”) since I have seen a movie as appealing as this one. It’s got a fair dose of drama, a flair of comedy, and an absolute justice to emotions. All the characters seemed just out of life – no one is the perfect son/daughter, no inspiring professors and teachers and naturally judgemental yet affectionate parents. The performances were par excellence. Not a single actor seems out of place. Aamir is a natural and saying anything about him is like showing light to a lamp, so I would keep away from doing so. Sharman is truly marvellous. Although he has proven his mettle time and again – be it Rang de Basanti, Life in a... Metro, or Golmaal (although I didn’t quite like this one), he has proven that he can get into any character and play it with aplomb – Bollywood has yet to wake up and take notice of this guy. Madhavan, right for his TV serial “Saaya” days, has established himself as a good actor and he doesn’t disappoint as usual. Now, I am not a Kareena Kapoor fan. In fact, she is one actor who features in my list of least favourite actors. But, here she doesn’t give me any reason to complain. She is simple and elegant, not over the top for a change, and quite good actually. Boman despite his hilarious make-up and facial expression is absolutely cool. To watch out for is his expression when he mutters “I’ll get back to you on this.” Last but not least, one guy to watch out for is certainly Omi Vaidya (who plays Chatur Ramalingam). Not only does he fit the part to the T, but his is the one of the finest performances in the film.



I found “Taare Zameen Par” flawless. I cannot, however, say this about “3 idiots”. Two scenes were difficult to digest a bit. First, there was Sharman Joshi’s interview on the wheelchair. He did not say a single positive thing and absolutely not a single sentence that would “sell him” to the employers, and yet he got the job. Now, this is not a good guide for all young job searchers as it would not get them a job but certainly a lot of trouble. Second, as everyone who watched the movie would agree, Mona Singh’s delivery scene on the Table Tennis table was atrocious. Oh, who needs sanitation, hygiene and sterilisation while dealing with medical emergencies? Even if Hirani made a fab film, he stumbled heavily here. The scene was absolutely misfit in an otherwise awe-inspiring movie. But then as the reviewer on rediff.com wrote, “It's not like 3 Idiots aspired to be a “Dead Poets Society” anyway. For all its well-meaning remarks on the currently unimaginative state of the education system while celebrating its merits (through Rancho's radical vision), 3 Idiots is a full-on commercial entertainer with boisterous songs, romanticised idealism and jaunty buffoonery -- traits we have always adored Hirani for. What's even more rocking is the climax. FINALLY, a film that knows how to wrap up with a punch. You know how rare that is. I am willing to give it all the brownie points for this alone.”



Before the ending note though, a word for Chetan Bhagat. I have read “Five Point Someone”. Though my two sisters root for it, I did not find it extraordinary in any way. It was just passé, nothing great. Chetan’s books are certainly no literary masterpieces but they do well with readers who want an Indian touch and some youth related fun in their books. The price and availability makes his books easily available and affordable, hence, the fan following. Now, a lot is being written about Chetan’s displeasure at the way his name is put in credits. But, I see no reason for him to protest. Not only is the screenplay of 3 idiots different, the path, and the twists and turns, that the story takes every now and then is also different. Only the basic premise – that of 3 dissimilar boys coming together at a ragging session at IIT and forming a bond of eternal friendship – is common to the book and the movie. Now, that can also be a coincidence.



Hirani again is a director to watch out for and this was one of the finest films to come out of an otherwise disappointing year. He is one person who once ‘practices’ what he ‘preaches.’ “Pursue Excellence – Success will follow.”

1 comment:

  1. Well really enjoyed this movie but seems I am even more enjoying reading this critical feedback. The movie as per me worked very well in bombarding the orthodox mentality of over grown parents who beleive that the kids born with 'unusual' creativity(in their opinion, as i kno creativity can never be usual, else it would not be differentiated) are disguises to the family. Whats gonna get them recognition is a son or daughter who would become a doctor, an engineer, a CA, a lawyer and for a change this is the only one area where in India the list (of desirable professions) is not too long. I think the movie conveys a very serious message and if it suceeds in changing the mind set of even 5 parents, its worth the effort.
    I have no reasons to disagree on the two points mentioned by my friend on the usual bollywood/cinema non sense. The scene on delivery of the kid was very annoying. Infact if I am not mistaken, those were the only 8 minutes in 3 hours when I looked at my watch 3 times. Wish it could be avoided in the movie. The interview scene was not too bad. I think it leaves a very important message of 'being yourself' in every situation irrespective of what would come back to you. I know it might sound little philosophical but I am trying to implement the same "just being my realself" in ma life. So when on fasting, one cannot criticise being spirtual.
    To conclude, thanks buddy for your well expressed point of view. Appreciated. Regards

    ReplyDelete

Women should support women

​I was having a discussion today with a junior at work, a girl who I had started interacting with recently. We discuss a lot of work-related...