Friday, March 26, 2010

My own list of recent Romantic Numbers

I sometimes read Poonam Saxena's Blog. In her last post there, she listed ten very recent love songs that happen to be her and her Brunch colleagues' favourites. I didn't quite agree with the list and just sitting there reading, came out with a list of my own. Just like Poonam, I stuck to some very recent numbers only (last 2-3 years, if I may say). But, it was difficult for me to restrict myself to ten songs only. So I took the liberty of crossing the round figure. Then again, you may notice that I may have clubbed two or three numbers together. That's because all of them haunt me in the similar fashion and it's difficult for me to choose one out of those. Besides, I am able to listen to them one after the other without any change in my mood (hehe).
So here's my list, in no particular order or sequence:
Of the recent songs, one soulful track that touches me is "Rehna tu…" from Delhi-6. AR Rahman at his very best, I still believe his work in Bollywood to be by far superior to what he has rendered in Hollywood. I would also mention here the song "Tu bin bataye…" from Rang de Basanti which was equally haunting in its melody. But, I find lyrics of "Rehna tu…" much more refreshing. What deeper reflections than "Haath tham chalna ho, to dono ke dayein haath sang kaise… Ek dayan hoga, ek bayan hoga… Tham le, haath ye thaam le…"
Another good song from Rahman's collection is "Kahin to hogi vo…" from Jaane tu ya jaane naa with "Jaane vo mera kya tha…" (Aditi's rendition) following close. Not only were they suiting the films mood to perfection but are extremely well rendered by the respective singers.
"Iktara" from Wake Up Sid is also amazing. It is the very song for all girls who have just fallen in love and for all women who are still very romantic at heart.
"Phir Dekhiye…", "Tum ho to…" and "Yeh tumhari meri baatein…" from Rock On! hold strong fort among the very rocking soundtrack of the film. I often feel that "Phir Dekhiye…" did not get its due. Being the amazing romantic song it is, it got lost in the FM channels' playlists of all Rock On! numbers; what with them focusing on "Rock On!", "Picchle Saat dino mein…" and even "Tum ho to…" and "Yeh tumhari meri baatein…".
"Tum se hi…" from Jab we met and "Dooriyan…" from Love aaj kal seem to be on the same lines. But, both of them are amazing numbers, one reflecting on 'No-loss-even-if-your-lover-is-gone' and the other on 'Feeling-the-loss-when-your-ex-lover-is-still-around'. Am I even making sense? Nevertheless, they are great songs.
"Kuchh Khaas…" and "Mar jawaan…" from fashion are also enticing. May I club them with "Haafiz Khuda… / Kuchh is tarah…" from 8x10 Tasveer?
"Khuda jaane…" from Bachna Ae Haseeno is a very soft tender number and I enjoy the feel. Although I am no big fan of either Ranbir or Deepika but I think the song was amazingly picturised and exuded romance in each frame.
"Kaise mujhe tum mil gayi…" from Ghajini is the best of the whole lot. Like Poonam, I too like "Guzaarish…" as well, but would any day choose the former over the latter.
"Pyar ki ye Kahaani…" from Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd. is very stylishly romantic and I feel may be perfect for a date. I would recommend a Latino dance on the number as I feel the music might do real justice to the closeness between the dance partners in these dance forms.
"Bol naa halke-halke…" from Jhoom barabar Jhoom is also one of my favourites. I don't per se like Rahat Fateh Ali Khan's voice, but I feel it suits this song, as also the number that follows.
"Aaj din chadheya…" from Love aaj kal again is also amazing. I feel enchanted by this song. Some innovative lyrics, what a beautiful compliment to give to one's lady love than give her the credit of making the day bright, sunny and cheerful. I am sure no girl will brush this one off. Even the rest of the lyrics are simple yet beautiful. "Maanga jo mera hai… Jaata kya tera hai… Maine kaunsi khudai maang li… Kaisa khuda hai tu… Bas naam ka hai tu… Rabba jo teri itni si bhi naa chali…" Challenge that if you can.
I certainly cannot miss "In lamhon ke daaman mein…" from Jodhaa-Akbar. After a long time came a song with music so melodious, lyrics so pure and ethereal and the total effect of the song so grand. Try to listen it on your head-phones. You'll be captured before you know it. (I would like to put "Jashn-e-baharaa…" alongside but am in double minds about whether it would qualify as a love-song or not.)
Another song that comes to my mind is "Tum hi dekho naa…" from Kabhi Alvida naa Kehna. I absolutely hated the film but I liked most of its songs. Poonam rightly describes this song as "a really soft, delicate love song" and was by far the best of the whole lot.
"Tere liye…" and "Main yahaan hoon…" from Veer-Zaara, just like all the songs from the movie, resonate deep inside you till long after you have stopped listening to the songs. It's an amazing feeling and very special too.
Last but not least, the song that comes to my mind is "Tu hi to meri dost hai…" from Yuvraaj. The movie particularly was nothing great, but I loved it for its songs and its cinematography. Even "Tu muskura…" is beautiful though not as lovable as the former. Benny Dayal's voice creates magic on AR Rahman's chords.
Just a quick look over my list, I see Rahman's songs in large numbers, followed closely by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy. As far as Rahman is concerned, Poonam and I certainly do not think alike. She missed most of my favourites there and unlike her I am not too fond of the Guru number "Tere bina…". Our views do meet on "Kaise mujhe tum mil gayi…" from Ghajini, as I already mentioned.
Before I wrap up, I would also like to mention some other noteworthy songs that came to my mind though they could not make to my list. "Tera hone laga hoon…" from Ajab Prem ki Ghazab Kahani (I like the portions belonging to Neeraj Shridhar and Alisha Chinoy but find Atif Aslam's part pretty ordinary although I would not hold Atif responsible for the same. I think the very nature of the song makes Neeraj and Alisha's lines stand out); "You got me rocking and reeling…" from Billu (Barber) (I love the song but would classify it as lacking that 'X-factor' to make to the above list); "Dil Ibadat…" from Tum mile and "Zara si…" from Jannat (Though the former is not a great song but I like the lyrics. They do bring out the yearning of a lover to have his love back in his life. How come all Bhatt camp numbers sound all the same? I often confuse "Dil Ibadat…" with "Tu hi haqeeqat…", at times not even realizing which one I am hearing unless I focus more intently on the lyrics. Moreover, this is not the first time, I had the same feeling for Raaz 2 songs as well and I guess the song "Zara si…" also lost its sheen after arrival of the more recent Tum mile songs); "Mera Dil…" from Salaam-e-Ishq (Again, all the songs of this film were sweet and hummable and this may be called the best of the lot, though, it was certainly not extra-ordinary to reach that pinnacle of emotions); "Mere haath mein…" from Fanaa and the title track from Hum Tum (I really have no reason to say why I didn't put these songs in the list above except that I had a feeling that they didn't belong there. But, they are lovely songs nevertheless); the title track of U, me aur Hum (I love this song, especially its lyrics "Tere mere haath mein koi bhi pinjara naa ho… Ek duje par apna haq to ho kabza naa ho…" but was wondering whether this should qualify as a love song); "Ajnabi Shehar…" and "Sau dard…" from Jaaneman (Same reasons – I wasn't sure whether they should qualify as love songs); the title track of Mera Pehle Pehle Pyar and "Tinka tinka…" from the film Karam (These two songs were initially on my list above, till I realized that it contained too many songs to qualify as a 'favourites list'. In the end, I brought these two songs out only to console myself that I did attempt to shorten my list and keep it concise). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women should support women

​I was having a discussion today with a junior at work, a girl who I had started interacting with recently. We discuss a lot of work-related...