Monday, December 20, 2010

Follow the Light!!!

Today I came across a wonderful blog – Secret Pearls. This blog features beautiful articles / anecdotes of deriving inspiration or messages from Mother Nature to help solve some of everyday problems. Although I would be introducing the blog in my ‘list’, I would like to share one article from the same which I found exceptionally inspiring. Here it goes:

Summer has arrived in Australia but so have the flies! If you have ever been to Australia in the summer months, you would have noticed what a nuisance these flies can be. No matter how many times you shoo them away, they simply show no fear and lazily return to make themselves at home.

One such pesky fly made himself at home in a packet of almonds that lay open on my kitchen bench top. He had worked his way to the back of the packet and it was only after a few failed attempts to chase him out that I realised the fly was gravitating towards light. You see, the back of the packet was facing towards the bright, sunlit window in my kitchen. As soon as I realised this, I turned the packet around so that the opening faced the window and within seconds the fly was free.

This episode reminded me of a time when my family and I went to explore some caves which are situated about four hours drive away from where we live. Armed with only a torch and hard hat each, we were the only people in the cave at the time, except for a fly which had followed us in. Every time we turned our torches off to experience the thick, still darkness around us, we became aware of the fly’s frantic buzzing around our heads, searching for the light. We thought it rather amusing and told all our friends about the new friend we had made, who followed us all the way in and out of the cave.

Even in the darkest cave Mother Nature shares her wisdom with us. I became very aware of the importance of light in our lives; both light in the physical form and light in the spiritual form. I was pondering on some of the spiritual teachings I have heard relating to ‘following the light’ and was taken back to all my dark hours when I felt alone, sad or troubled. It was almost instinctual for me to follow the light.

I naturally gravitated towards ‘light’ sources such as a loving family member, a walk out in nature, lively music or enjoying a happy movie. I am very grateful that those two small pesky flies happened to come along to remind me to always gravitate towards love and happiness.

If you are experiencing the emptiness of darkness around you, remember life’s lesson about the fly and follow your instincts to a happier, loving life…

Follow the Light!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women should support women

​I was having a discussion today with a junior at work, a girl who I had started interacting with recently. We discuss a lot of work-related...