Monday, March 23, 2015

Gravity vs. God

A friend today floated a question on Facebook for all his pals. He simply asked, “Are you an atheist?”. The moment I read it, I asked myself, “Am I?” Pat came the answer from within, “If you’re not, why the speck of doubt?” And hence I was forced to think. But, how could I be an aethist? Isn’t aethist defined as “A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods” (Source: Oxford Dictionary) and I do go to temples, right?

Some days ago, I had read somewhere, “We live on a blue planet that circles around a ball of fire, next to a moon that moves the sea, and you don’t believe in God?” I remember thinking, “That’s Gravity!” My heart argued again, “Sure it is. Gravity keeps us grounded. But, isn’t that what God is also supposed to do?” And then I wondered whether God could be just another name for Gravity? More arguments follow here: Gravity is nothing but a superpower that ensures existence. But then so is God.

I do believe there's a superpower that ensures existence. Whether you call it a God or not, it's up to you. Whether you give him a face - any face - or not, it's up to you. I believe that the power is inside us, it is around us and some people call it Gravity and others call it God. They give it a face and carve it in stone.

I think we humans have a fear of the unknown and the unseen and they do this because it gives them protection against the fear. So, it's okay as long as it gives you peace of mind. What I don't believe in is discriminating each other on the basis of the face we have chosen for our belief. It's worse than kids fighting, “My doll is better and prettier than yours.”

As for the rituals, again they are okay as long as they don't become superstitions. I myself participate in poojas, fast on Navratris and all. But if for any reason, I am not able to do that for once (e.g. this Navratri I am not fasting), it's okay. The God, if he exists, would not judge us anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women should support women

​I was having a discussion today with a junior at work, a girl who I had started interacting with recently. We discuss a lot of work-related...