Friday, August 14, 2015

Happy Independence Day!!

My idea of freedom is slightly different from the generation before me and it’s probably logical as well since my generation has only read words describing the freedom struggle. We have not known the pain and the trauma of being constantly under siege and fear and the frustration of having no rights and being treated as second-grade human being in your own land. There is, however, still trauma and frustration rampant in our country but the causes are different. The causes are casteism, reservation, power monopolism, bureaucracy, poverty, deficient rights for certain humans (like women for example), lack of security for citizens, child abuse, etc. I can go on enumerating the causes but the fact remains the same. It is not about freedom from any foreign country or body any more. It is about freedom from all that is hurting us from within. And this freedom is something that has to come from inside. And I hope that it comes soon enough so that we can at least leave a better country and a better world for our children.


I am today, like every year, reminded of Tagore’s words:


Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high
Where knowledge is free
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments
By narrow domestic walls
Where words come out from the depth of truth
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way
Into the dreary desert sand of dead habit
Where the mind is led forward by thee
Into ever-widening thought and action
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Women should support women

​I was having a discussion today with a junior at work, a girl who I had started interacting with recently. We discuss a lot of work-related...