Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Whoever said marks are 'not important' is wrong!!

The 12th class results are just out. Last few months, there have been campaigns on social media and FMs trying to tell the kids that marks are NOT IMPORTANT. While the intent is clearly to not put pressure on kids and encourage parents to not do the same, it is not exactly true that marks are not important.

The marks are not EVERYTHING, but they still do matter.

It is true that not everybody can come on top and even kids with average marks do well in life most of the time; eventually making successful careers for themselves. There are far too many examples in my life where I have seen average students excel in their careers and make something good and comfortable for themselves. But you cannot deny that having a good academic result saves you a lot of struggle. I'm a live example of the same.

By God's grace, I had a good result in my XII grade. I went to SRCC and completed my CA at the age of 22 years itself. My good academics easily got me through in one of the Big4s. Due to some personal reasons, I had to quit working an year later. After a four year gap if I got a break, that too a fairly decent one, it was only because of my academic background. So whoever tells me that marks really don't decide your career graph, I would like to differ and correct them that they do. What they don't decide is whether you are capable or not of making a career of yourself. Hard work can always compensate for lower marks later in life provided you keep a positive attitude in life.

To me, the issue is all about differentiating between "motivating kids to get good marks" and "pressurising kids to get good marks". But there's a thin line between the two. How you get the point across is what matters.

I belong to a family that believes in carrots more than sticks when it comes to studies. (Well, sometimes sticks are used as well but only in extreme cases.) When I had topped my school about 18 years back, I remember a journalist interviewing me. She asked me basic questions like how I prepared for the exams, how many hours of study did I put in, etc. And I, despite all my excitement, gave very insipid answers. (Maybe that's why they never published my interview). In the end, she asked me, "Did you ever think of committing a suicide?" I was shocked, "Hell, no!" "Did your parents ever tell you that you need to get this much percentage?" "Well, I knew they expected me to do my best. But percentage and marks were never discussed." "What did they say to you?" "They always said that you're on your own when it comes to your further studies and career. We don't have any contacts where we could promise you to get into a college / course or a job. So do your best and leave the rest to God. Good things happen to those who work hard" Now that I look back, I am very proud of my parents for encouraging me and my sisters without creating any daunting pressure on us. I hope when the time comes, I am able to handle the situation with as much maturity.

So, the point that I want to make here is that we need to tell our kids that marks are important but they are not the end of the world. If they are scared, calm them down and tell them, "You do your best and leave the rest to God."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women should support women

​I was having a discussion today with a junior at work, a girl who I had started interacting with recently. We discuss a lot of work-related...