Friday, July 15, 2016

The Kashmir debate!

Disclaimer: This post is as non-political as it could be. It is neither an analysis of the situation in Kashmir, nor an on opinion on who is correct and who isn't. And this post definitely does not propagate, cultivate or promote any solution to the current situation. This is simply my own opinion on the debate around Kashmir that is going on. Read at your own risk!

Everybody knows the situation in Kashmir today where the locals are clashing with the Indian Army post the killing of Burhan Wani, the commander of Kashmiri militant group Hizbul Mujahideen whose social media campaign had an outreach among a section of Kashmiri Muslim youth. He was killed in an encounter with the Indian security forces on 8 July 2016. He is being claimed as a martyr by the radical Muslim groups and their supporters now.

I have a very clear viewpoint about the Kashmir situation. I support the rights of Kashmiri Pandits and I do feel that they deserve their homes back. I am also against Article 370 and I feel that Kashmir (at least the part under the Indian Control) is part of India and should have the same laws of the land, and same rights as well, as the rest of India. But looking at the current situation where people of Kashmir are supporting the neighbouring country and openly supporting the terror groups, I think there is no option but to run it the way it has been running for last many years.

However, recent events are really sad. The way people have come out in protest over killing of a terrorist is shocking. News channels, social media and even people here are sympathising with Wani. And for me this is somewhat unfathomable. I fail to understand how someone can support a terrorist. Would you support someone who tries to divide your home into two? Would you support someone who drives you or your family out of your house? Would you support someone who tries to kill your family members? And in such a scenario would you not do anything, and by all means anything to protect yourself and your family, even if it means seriously hurting or killing the perpetrator? I would. You would too.

Anyway, Kashmir is a very sensitive topic and I generally not talk about it openly; not because I'm scared but because I don't want to hurt the sentiments of some of my friends who feel opposite of what I feel albeit just as strongly if not more. It's almost like commenting on your family or home. I am a proud Indian and most of the times I cannot tolerate anybody showing my country in poor light. (I'm the kind that when everybody hailed Slumdog Millionaire, I on the contrary felt offended by such a mean and depressive generalisation of my country when there's so much more to it than the slums of Dharavi.) So, I can understand what Kashmiris feel about Kashmir.

But having said that, my opinion about Burhan Wani and all so called "freedom warriors" as well as the media and people supporting them is exactly how Arnab Goswami had put in words on his TV show recently.


As I said I restrain on commenting or arguing on posts supporting Kashmir militancy. But one of these days, I could not restrain myself. All over Facebook I saw posts dedicated to Aamir Nazir, a young gentleman killed in police firing to dispel the protestors. (Well, kindly ignore the word gentleman as I myself have my doubts about his gentleness really). So in one of the posts that implied that he was an innocent person killed by the armed forces, I happened to point out that there were army personnel and even their families which were being attacked as well and they are just as human as Aamir Nazir, if we even for the sake of the argument assume that he was just an innocent bystander. (In the police version, Aamir had pelted stones on the armed personnel but the people supporting Aamir claim that the Government of a India is forcing media to publish this "fabricated story"). Guess what happened, I was trolled and even called out using abusive language despite the fact that I had even very politely mentioned that I had no intention to argue and that I respect the other person's viewpoint. Yes, that happens to normal people like me too and not just celebrities.

Then today I saw these videos where the images which the media doesn't show were highlighted. Videos which shows how the so called innocents are pelting stones, sticks and torches on the armed forces. The soldiers of the Indian Army who have no personal interest and are doing all this for the country and for us are bearing the brunt of the "misguided people". I hope these people some day understand what is good for them and choose peace and choose their own country. Till then and forever, I proudly stand by the Indian Army.

Watch the video here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women should support women

​I was having a discussion today with a junior at work, a girl who I had started interacting with recently. We discuss a lot of work-related...