Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Rockstar rocks and how

I happened to catch Rockstar yesterday. It was one helluva experience, I must say. Haven't really been able to get it off my head till now. The music keeps ringing in my ears and Ranbir Kapoor's intense look and brisk walk with Journos and Cops in tow keeps floating in front of my eyes.

 

Till date I had been indifferent to Ranbir Kapoor. Although I had never disliked his performances, I had never found them something to go gaga about. (I do admit he was 'good' in Rajneeti). But, with Rockstar I am forced to sit up and take notice. He seethes, cries, pains and barges into the company of amazing 'Actors' and 'Performers'. Jordan is one of the most complicated characters presented on screen in the recent times and Ranbir plays it with élan. I had accorded Hrithik's performance in Guzaarish (Ethan too was a very complicated character to play) a lot of respect and now I would place Ranbir in Rockstar at par if not higher.

 

If Ranbir is the body of Rockstar, the film's music is its soul. It is heart rendering and heart warming both at the same time. A.R. Rahman's genius shines after a long time now and Irshad Kamil's lyrics are very introspective and apt. The songs haunt you for a very long time. Mohit Chauhan's silky voice serenades the entire movie and makes Ranbir's character actually work.

 

Among other artists, Nargis Fakhri is an absolute non-actor with a strange and stiff body language. It is kind of difficult to fathom why there's such a hue-and-cry about her looks. The girl playing the Journo looks and acts better than her anyway. The actor playing Khatana and Shernaz Patel are natural and support well. Shammi Kapoor looks great in unfortunately his last on screen appearance. I also want to add a word of praise for Ranbir's stylist (I guess it's Aki Narula but I am not sure) for the amazing look he has created for Ranbir. A refreshing change from the pre-set characteristic rockstar looks depicted in the past right until "Rock On!" although it's more or less on the same lines.

 

In the end, I want to add a lot more in praise of Rockstar but then… jo bhi main kehna chahoon, barbaad karein alfaz mere

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women should support women

​I was having a discussion today with a junior at work, a girl who I had started interacting with recently. We discuss a lot of work-related...