Friday, April 20, 2012

The sad phase of boredom...

I have always prided myself in the fact that I don't get bored easily ('ever' would be a big word to use in the context so I settle for 'easily'). And my belief stems from the fact that I do not always depend on others to keep myself engaged or occupied. I am comfortable when I am alone, even if for a long time. There is always something or the other to do. Read a book, surf the net, catch up on some TV, watch a movie or simply pen something for my blog. I also relish such time as it gives me time to reflect on what I might want from my life helping me make decisions for future. In fact, having time all for myself is kind of a luxury. Also one of the reasons, why driving alone is such a stress buster.
However, there are times when even I feel bored. The last time that happened I took time to reflect why. How come the very things I enjoy in my free time were not enticing enough at that point in time. Closer reflection brought me to the fact that boredom is nothing but a phase where you are feeling low for reasons absolutely different from lack of work or company. It is nothing but a phase where something has not exactly gone the way you might have wanted it to go and you are not really happy about it. Boredom is but a feeling of sadness.
So how do you overcome it? Certainly not by cribbing and grumbling. A better way to do so is to think happy thoughts or to engage yourself in something that gives you a high. It's not easy because we are so busy being grumpy and complaining about all and sundry (lack of work or being lonely) that we find it hard to figure out what might make us happy. But I have decided to let go of such thoughts and try and entertain myself with something that might cheer me up the next time I feel 'bored'. Maybe you should try it out too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women should support women

​I was having a discussion today with a junior at work, a girl who I had started interacting with recently. We discuss a lot of work-related...